Culture Gram

Culture Gram
Reading through the culture gram, I learned that a lot of the UK traditions are similar to the United State’s, especially in the younger generation, but there are some differences as well.
 It says the British get embarrassed by loud or boisterous behaviour and are more reserved in public, while in the United States people are very loud. Families are also smaller there, and less people are getting married, or if they do get married, they wait until later to have children.
 I knew about flats, but I didn’t know how prevalent they were in cities, taking up whole streets. There is also bedsits, which has a communal kitchen. Housing is getting so expensive that people just need a place to stay.
 I liked that the ideal is to have a house and garden. In the United States, I don’t hear a lot of people talking about how they want a garden, and I think garden’s are cute.
 It seems like weddings are a pretty big deal over there. It says they are usually as lavish as one can afford, while here, I feel like people purposely try to minimize their wedding to save money. I was also surprised that the reception is such a big thing, with having dinner for up to 200 people! That seems crazy! Also funerals seem to be like you see in the movies, really somber, etc, which I thought was interesting. In Northern Ireland it said people have the body with them the night before, which reminded me of Huckleberry Finn, and also kind of creeps me out. I wouldn’t want to go down to the kitchen in the middle of the night and see a casket.
 
I think it would be really lovely to be in England during Christmas. Also I can’t wait to see cars driving on the wrong side of the road! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Regency Era

I Almost Met Fairies

I Cried My Eyes Out at Charlotte Brontë's Home