Three Goals for My Study Abroad

1. I want to attempt to speak French in France, even though my French is limited. I really love learning French even though it can be difficult. I hope to be able to be fluent one day and live in France. I also want to get married in the Paris, France temple. I asked my current French teacher if French people like it when people to speak French even though they're not fluent and he says they really appreciate the effort so I'm even more excited!!
Image result for france
2. I want to go out of my comfort zone in some type of culture or activity that is foreign to me, but part of the culture there. Maybe try some really intimidating food? I was reading a subreddit about what Americans were surprised about Europe when they visited and what Europeans were surprised about America and it was really enlightening! The first thing I can remember off the top of my mind is that it's strange in America to use so much ice at restaurants and to be constantly refilling the glass with water. I also remember learning last year that in France, if you want tap water, you have to specify it's from the tap or they'll give you one of those carbonated waters (which personally I think are gross.) But I want to try something in each culture that I'm a little apprehensive about.
Image result for german food
3. I want to learn about the history of the places I go, and find connections between those people and myself. My mother has always liked history, and even though AP U.S. History wasn't my favourite class ever (or close), I do enjoy learning it. I don't read very much nonfiction, but I really enjoy historical fiction. I think the history of places is very important and traveling places without learning about them flattens your experience. I am probably most excited to see the Brontë home, because that's where Charlotte Brontë wrote Jane Eyre. It will mean a lot to me to be able to see her home and where she wrote. I know if I take the time to learn about the history of those other places, they can take on much deeper meaning and I will appreciate them so much more.
Image result for london history

(Bonus goal: I want to make friends with some of the people I meet there.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Regency Era

I Almost Met Fairies

I Cried My Eyes Out at Charlotte Brontë's Home